I’m Deaf, and I don’t use drive-thrus regularly. Here’s why:

 I’m Deaf, and I don’t use drive-thrus regularly. Here’s why:


I have nothing against Deaf people using drive-thrus, even though it can create inconvenience for the establishment to process the order last minute due to a surprise visit at the window.


Personally, I don’t use drive-thrus for many reasons. One of those reasons is to respect the timing and productivity of the business establishment, as I’m not a fan of last-minute surprise reactions from the staff at the window. As a Black man, I believe it’s very important to maintain situational awareness due to human nature’s tendency toward racial bias whenever they see me. Last-minute surprise visits could create a bad impression on my part or even lead to risky, unexpected consequences—something I strive to avoid.


I understand that Deaf people may use ADA laws to justify their right to access business establishments, and I completely respect that. As a Deaf individual for 38 years—I lost my hearing at two and am turning 40 this month—and having lived as a Deaf adult for 22 years since graduating high school, I’ve come to the conclusion that common sense trumps everything.


The only times I use drive-thrus are when I have a hearing passenger with me in the car or when I’m doing UberEats/DoorDash deliveries late at night. There have been moments where my efforts to get the staff's attention seemed impossible or futile, like at a Sonic drive-thru. In those cases, I skip that restaurant and move on to the next order. I’ll also leave a complaint in the notes section of the UberEats app, labeling it as 'Inaccessible'. I don’t know about other Deaf customers, but I wouldn’t get frustrated with anyone or any service over a $7.59 Big Mac or a $5.79 large Sonic shake due to accessibility issues.


If I’m seriously concerned about improper accessibility at a restaurant, writing a letter to the manager or someone in charge would be the first thing I’d do. The tricky part is that this letter could serve as evidence in a future court case, if necessary. Once the letter is sent, they typically respond with an apology and proper solutions. No cops, drama, or humiliation on social media is necessary.


This is an example of how I exercise my ADA rights with common sense, rather than weaponizing them to get whatever I want. My goal is to ensure that my rights work in their favor as well. It's all about mutual effort on both sides.


Good news: With growing technology regarding social interactions, such as ordering food on apps, intercom features with sign language at some Starbucks locations, touchscreen ordering at McDonald's, and more restaurant workers knowing sign language than before, Deaf people now have more advantages with these resources compared to Deaf individuals in the 1990s or earlier generations. Because of this, I’d encourage my fellow Deaf customers, as well as hearing customers and workers, to take advantage of these resources that address communication needs in establishments and to avoid forcing either the staff or the customer to conduct business in a way that goes against their comfort.


Even with those resources, unless there’s an employee standing outside taking orders from customers at the drive-thru, like at Chick-fil-A, or a touchscreen at the intercom, I’d still make the extra effort to get out of my car and walk into the restaurant instead of driving through the drive-thru to the last window and blindly expecting nothing bad to happen.


While I fully respect and support the rights of Deaf individuals to use resources like drive-thrus, I believe in applying common sense to ensure both my needs and the business's efficiency are met. My approach is focused on respect, awareness, and mutual effort. I choose to use accessible resources where available, but I’m also willing to make adjustments when necessary, such as walking into a restaurant to avoid potential misunderstandings. By maintaining a balanced approach, I can advocate for my rights while contributing to a smoother, more inclusive experience for everyone involved. I hope more Deaf people adopt the type of thinking that I have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why do they still call me “Reggie?”

Dear Midwest Christian Outreach (Not really letter though!)

Sweet Sorrow Saturday